Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Boozer

Last night we rode the horses for family night in our new arena.  Its just sand right now, but by the end of summer it should be an acutal working arena complete with chutes, catch pen and return alley (and steers, hopefully!)




Cade and Cash were on their horses and I rode mine-Boozer. 

Let me just tell you how I found her. 

So, back in the day when I was working at SVLAC, I went on a farm call with one of the vets to a guys place in Lehi  named Vince Bellon.  We were doing a whole bunch of coggins tests so they could take all these cutting horses to a show in Idaho.  As we finished, the last horse we drew blood from was this cute little palomino mare.  She was way cute, super dark palomino with bleach blond curly mane.  She was flashy. 

Anyways, so we were just chit-chattin with Vince as we were getting all the owner info for the horses.  I was kinda looking for a new horse since mine at the time went A-wall one day.  (that's a whole other story)  so, I just spontaneously asked Vince if he had any horses for sale.  He said they had three 3 year olds.  So, I came back the next day to ride them.  I got on the first one that was a little bay mare.  She was really stupid and had no manners.  She was out.  The next one was a big sorrel gelding.  He was lame, so he was out too. 

Then he brought out the cute little palomino that I had seen the day before.  I hopped on her and she was awesome!  Low headed, calm, and smooth.  I remember, I didn't want to get off of her.  I could have rode her all day.  I was in love!  I rode her for about an hour and took her home for a couple of days. 

I took her to work with me to do a pre-purchase.  She didn't have any shoes on and when she trotted around in a circle on the pavement, she was lame.  Navicular bones looked good, but she was a bigger horse with smaller feet, so they usually end up with navicular.  Everyone told me "don't buy a lame horse!"  but I really wanted her, bad.....like really bad.

I tried to get her for longer, but Vince was taking her to Idaho the next day for a show.  I had to make my decision by that night. 

I stewed about it all day.  After work, Cade went with me to take her back.  When I went to hand her over, I just couldn't do it.  I really wanted her.  So, against what everyone told me,  I did it.  I bought her.  We got shoes and equipack on her, and she's never took a lame step.  Helelujah!  When he gave me her papers, I saw her name was "She's a Boozer."  The guy that raised her had a daughter that was an alchoholic and so he named all his foals that year after his alcky daughter.

Here we are, 7 years later, and shes still awesome!  Last night, all those memories came back to me and I thaught I would write them down somewhere since I have never told that story before.  She is just a cool horse. The kind you can throw your kids on and not have to worry about them.  She has manners, respects your space and she's easy to be around.
And she's cute. :)



  

2 comments:

  1. I love her! Im glad you followed your gut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful I'm glad you shared her story with us. I'm terrified of horses so I love it when people have a good one!

    ReplyDelete